Hi Friends, It’s Lucinda, Head Hen at Moink, here with some Thanksgiving words of wisdom. “When it comes to the big meal (and life), you don’t have to be perfect at everything. Pick one thing and knock it out of the park.”
For me, when it comes to food, that one thing is pie. I’m known for it. And I am not saying it is the MAIN reason Adam married me, but it is probably in his top 10 reasons. Just sayin.’
Lean in a little closer, and I’ll tell you my secret ingredient. It’s BUTTER, and lots of it! Everything is better with butter, right?
For our big family Thanksgiving, my sister makes the turkey, and I handle the rest. One year, I decided to get a little adventurous with the potatoes. Instead of traditional mashed white potatoes, I decided to roast purple potatoes. They just weren’t the same, and my brothers acted like I single-handedly ruined Thanksgiving. Now every year when we plan our family holiday gathering, my brothers ask if I’m making the potatoes. I tell them, I might mess everything else up, but it doesn’t matter, you’ll keep coming because you know I make the best pie. Yep, true story! My pie crust is made with butter, and my signature pie is lemon.
Here’s my tried and true recipe for Lemon Pie.
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cup of flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (omit if you are making savory dish like a quiche)
- ⅓ cup ice water (as in it needs to be REALLY cold!)
- 1 stick of frozen butter
- Capful of apple cider vinegar
- Put butter (cut in a few pieces), flour and salt and sugar in a food processor and process until crumbled.
- While the processor is blending add the cold water and the apple cider vinegar
- Let it process and magically it will form a ball. Take it out and roll it out. QUICKLY before the butter gets too soft.
Bam. Done. Pie crust super star.
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 lemons
- 1 pie shell, unbaked
- Zest the lemons. Then remove the peels and seeds.
- In a blender, add the eggs, sugar, lemons and lemon zest. Blend for 1 minute.
- Add the melted butter and blend for 30 more seconds.
- Pour the blended mixture into the pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until slightly firm in the middle. Or, chill in the fridge for a few hours before baking. The lemon zest will float to the top, which will make your pie turn out like a crème brulée. It’s your call!
- Serve with homemade whipped cream- whip the cream, add some sugar and a capful of vanilla. (Then sit back and listen to your whole family sing your praises!)
This pie is so delicious, no matter if you eat it straight from the oven, room temperature, or right out of the pan for breakfast the next morning (Don’t judge…it’s THAT good!).
I’m not saying this recipe is magic, but it does have the power to raise your approval rating by a thousand points in about two minutes flat! Why would anyone waste their sugar intake on bacon when there are desserts like Lemon Pie?
Now that I have your mouth watering for pie, I want to take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving, from my family to yours. Thank you for supporting Moink and the more than 100 family farms we partner with to bring you the highest-quality meat money can buy. We’re all in this mission together, and we are so grateful to our farmers and our customers for making it all possible. Have a blessed holiday, filled with special time with the ones you love and tons of good food!
Are you ready to join the movement to put exceptional tasting, ethically-sourced meat on every table? Try a Moink Box today.