If you need a hearty, filling breakfast or brunch recipe, look no further. This dish has it all: Cheesy grits, seasoned steak, spicy peppers, and a fried egg on top.
- Serves 4
- Active time 40 minutes
- Total time 40 minutes
- 2 MOINK breakfast steaks
- ¾ cup stone-ground grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salsa for serving
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce, salsa, and chopped fresh chives for serving
- Thaw the steak.
- Make the grits: Combine the grits, chicken broth, milk, and ½ teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grits are thickened. Stir in the cheese.
- While the grits cook, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the eggs and cook to desired doneness. (We like sunny-side-up.) Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Sprinkle the steak lightly with salt and pepper and the chili powder. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or to desired doneness. Remove the steak to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Add the pepper and onion to the skillet. Sauté 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- To serve, spoon the grits evenly into bowls. Top with sliced steak, the pepper and onions mixture, eggs, hot sauce, salsa, and chives. Serve immediately.