If you need a hearty, filling breakfast or brunch recipe, look no further. This dish has it all: Cheesy grits, seasoned steak, spicy peppers, and a fried egg on top.
- Serves 4
- Active time 40 minutes
- Total time 40 minutes
- 2 MOINK breakfast steaks
- ¾ cup stone-ground grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salsa for serving
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce, salsa, and chopped fresh chives for serving
- Thaw the steak.
- Make the grits: Combine the grits, chicken broth, milk, and ½ teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grits are thickened. Stir in the cheese.
- While the grits cook, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the eggs and cook to desired doneness. (We like sunny-side-up.) Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Sprinkle the steak lightly with salt and pepper and the chili powder. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or to desired doneness. Remove the steak to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Add the pepper and onion to the skillet. Sauté 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- To serve, spoon the grits evenly into bowls. Top with sliced steak, the pepper and onions mixture, eggs, hot sauce, salsa, and chives. Serve immediately.
Ready to join the Moink Moovement and help us fight for the family farm?