We know, it’s not a meat recipe, but it’s a fantastic dessert!
- Serves 8
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 6 cups sliced nectarines (about 6 large/2 lb.)
- 2 (6-oz.) cartons blackberries
- ½ cup sugar plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the nectarines, blackberries, ½ cup of the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a large cast-iron skillet. Cook 5 to 6 minutes until the fruit begins to soften and the juices thicken. Remove from the heat.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Stir together the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla. Add to the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Drop the dough into 8 rounds over the cooked fruit using an ice cream scooper or two spoons. Brush the tops of the biscuits with additional buttermilk.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the biscuits are cooked through and browned on top. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.