Whether you’re watching the game or enjoying a backyard cookout with friends, these brats are going to disappear fast. No need to use fancy beer for these—regular ‘ole lager works great.
- Serves 5
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 package MOINK salt and pepper brats
- 2 (12-oz.) cans lager beer
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter, plus more for the buns
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- ⅓ cup beer
- ½ tsp. ground mustard
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 5 pretzel buns, split
- Pierce the brats with a knife or fork in several places. Combine the beer and brats in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer the brats for 10 minutes. Remove the brats from the beer and set aside.
- Pour ⅓ cup simmered beer into a liquid measuring cup and discard the rest. Melt 1 tablespoon of the in the saucepan. Add the flour and cook 1 minute, until the mixture is foamy and begins to smell nutty. Whisk in the reserved beer, milk, ground mustard, and garlic powder. Bring to a simmer and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Grill the brats 5 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through. Grill the onion 5 minutes or until tender. Brush the pretzel buns with softened butter and grill 1 minute or until toasted.
- Place the grilled brats and onion into each bun and top with cheese sauce before serving.
Ready to join the Moink Moovement and help us fight for the family farm?