This hearty stew will warm you from head to toe and comes together quickly for an easy weeknight dinner. Serve with Jalapeño-Cheddar Cornbread to sop up the flavorful juices at the bottom of the bowl.
Serves 6 to 8
Active time 25 minutes
Total time 40 minutes
- 1 lb. MOINK breakfast sausage
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 2 (15.5-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon to crumble. Drain the sausage, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in the pan.
- Add vegetable oil to the pan and heat over medium-high. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, kale, beans, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until the kale is tender. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired.