Enjoy this cozy dinner after letting the slow cooker do all the work. You’ll want to make sure to allow about 20 minutes of prep time in the morning to get this dish going. Or, if you’d rather, it can cook overnight, and you can reheat it in a Dutch oven when you’re ready to eat. Try it served over Horseradish-Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Serves 6 to 8
Active time 30 minutes
Total time 8 hours, 45 minutes
- 3 lb. MOINK beef arm chuck roast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 (16-oz.) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, cut into large wedges
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth/stock
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Sprinkle the chuck roast with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the roast on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- While the roast browns, coat the inside of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add the mushrooms, onion, carrots, and garlic to the bottom of the cooker.
- Transfer the roast to the slow cooker over the vegetables.
- Stir together the broth, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce. Pour over the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 ½ to 8 hours or until the roast is fork-tender.
- Remove the roast from the cooker to a serving plate along with the carrots and onions. Measure 2 cups of cooking liquid from the slow cooker and place in a small saucepan. (You can either use a ladle or strain the liquid over a glass measuring cup.)
- Whisk together the flour and 3 tablespoons cold water. Whisk into the reserved liquid in the saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes until the gravy is thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and serve with the roast, carrots, and onions. Garnish with parsley, if desired.