This stewed chicken dish is typically cooked in a clay or ceramic tagine pot, but it can also be made in a deep skillet. Our favorite side for this one is Jeweled Couscous. It’s the perfect way to soak up the citrusy olive and onion pan sauce.
Serves 4 to 6
Active time 30 minutes
Total time 1 hour (plus marinating time)
- 2 lb. MOINK chicken thighs (about 4 to 6)
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted green olives, halved
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish. Stir together the curry powder, paprika, coriander, and cinnamon. Rub all over the chicken and underneath the skin. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the lemon. Be careful not to remove the white pith. Squeeze the lemon to equal 2 tablespoons juice. (Reserve any remaining lemon or juice for another use). Set the peel aside, and combine the 2 tablespoons lemon juice with the chicken broth.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Cook the onion and garlic 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add the olives, lemon peel, and browned chicken to the skillet. Pour the broth-lemon juice mixture over the top, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is done.