There’s nothing better than a creamy, comforting pot pie to come home to when the weather outside is nippy. Our version includes a flaky homemade crust that we think is worth making. But, in a pinch feel free to use a store-bought crust instead.
- Serves 2 to 4
- Active time 40 minutes
- Total time 1 hour, 35 minutes
For the filling:
- 1 pkg. MOINK boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
For the pie crust:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 Tbsp. ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the chicken in a baking dish and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove the chicken from the oven and let cool slightly before shredding.
- While the chicken bakes, lightly grease 2 (3-cup) pie plates, 4 (2-cup) dishes, or 1 (9-inch) pie plate. Make the pie crust: In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add the butter and toss to coat. Use a fork, pastry cutter, or your fingers combine the butter and flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Gently fold in the flour and water and shape into a disc.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into an 11-inch circle. If using 2 pie plates or 4 dishes, invert the dish onto the dough and cut a circle of dough ½-inch larger than the lip of the dish. (If making 1 pie, there’s no need to cut.) Place the circles on a baking sheet and chill until ready to use.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle the flour over the onions. Add the sherry and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the chicken stock and heavy cream. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the mixed vegetables, shredded chicken, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375°F. Spoon the chicken filling into the prepared dishes or dish. Place the dough on top. Fold the edges of the dough under and crimp or press down to seal. Whisk together the egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water. Brush over the dough. Cut slits in the top to vent. Bake the pies for 30 to 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
Do you have a leftover turkey from your holiday meal? Make turkey pot pies instead. It’s just as delicious as the chicken version and is a great use for leftovers.