Technically this is dressing, not stuffing (since you don’t stuff the bird). Whatever you like to call it, this recipe is delicious and the perfect accompaniment to the holiday bird. Sweet apples and tart cherries paired with fresh herbs are exactly what you’ll want with slices of turkey. Add a dousing of gravy and a dollop of cranberry sauce, and you’ve got a winning combination.
- Serves 8 to 12
- Active time 30 minutes
- Total time 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 12 cups cubed day-old French bread (about a 14-oz. loaf)
- 1 lb. MOINK pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 Honeycrisp or Gala apples, chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Arrange the bread cubes in the dish and set aside.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crumbled. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and add to the bread cubes in the baking dish, reserving the drippings in the skillet. Add the onion, celery, and garlic to the skillet and cook 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add to the bread cubes in the baking dish.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, eggs, melted butter, herbs, salt, and pepper. Add the apples and the cherries to the bread cubes and toss the mixture to evenly distribute with the bread, sausage, and vegetables. Pour the chicken broth mixture over the bread and toss to combine.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 to 45 minutes longer until the stuffing is set and the top is browned.
Don’t have any day-old bread? It’s easy to make your own. Cube the bread and spread it on a large rimmed baking sheet. Let it stand, uncovered, in a cold oven overnight. The next day it’ll be dried out and ready to go.