A recipe from Chef Tommy!
Flank steak… arguably the most under-appreciated cut! But if you give it a great char and let it rest in something great like wild mushrooms, this cut can prevail! This recipe is easily on our list of favorites. Flank steak with creamy mushroom sauce? Yes, please!
- Moink flank steak
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 18 ounces wild mushroom blend (oyster, shittake, and crimini are great!)
- 2 more tablespoons of butter
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped garlic
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup cognac
- 1 bag baby arugula or spinach
- Fire up the oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub down the Moink flank steak with the Montreal steak seasoning, and put aside.
- Chop your garlic.
- Heat a large frying pan with butter and oil – make sure it’s nice and hot!
- Sear every side of the flank steak. Take it out of the pan, and put it aside (This is the first rest).
- Now, put the rest of the butter in the pan. As it finished melting, add all of your mushrooms. Don’t worry if your pan seems too full! As they brown, they will shrink right up.
- As the mushrooms brown, add the green onion. (Leave a few to the side for your garnish!)
- Now, add the cognac. Spill some over the side to flambé (in case you don’t know- this means fire!) Add in your whipping cream, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce until the cream starts to thicken.
- This is a great time to thinly slice the Flank. You should be cutting against the grain of the meat!
- In a shallow dish, lay a bed of arugula down.
- Spoon the mushrooms on top of the arugula, and place the sliced flank on top of the mushrooms.
- Finish with the spring onion and, if you have it, drizzle that truffle oil over the whole thing!
Ready to join the Moink Moovement and help us fight for the family farm?