This dynamic duo of potatoes is a dish everyone will want on their table—no matter what the main attraction is. We particularly like it paired with ham, but it’s also nice with turkey, lamb, or beef.
- Serves 6 to 8
- Active time 30 minutes
- Total time 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1½ lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 1½ lb. sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13- x 9-inch or 3-quart baking dish. Cut the potatoes into ¼-inch-thick slices. Arrange (shingle) half of the potato slices in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the potatoes. Arrange the remaining potato slices over the cheese.
- Bring the heavy cream, garlic, and rosemary to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. (Watch the mixture carefully so it doesn’t boil over.) Stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove the rosemary and garlic, if desired. Pour the cream over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes until the casserole is golden brown and bubbly. Garnish with additional rosemary, if desired.
Ready to join the Moink Moovement and help us fight for the family farm?