Risotto is one of those dishes that seems difficult, but it’s actually really easy to prepare. All it takes is a little patience and about 30 minutes. This version has the addition of sweet peas and pairs nicely with our Poached Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce —the perfect dish for a date night in or Sunday supper.
- Serves 4
- Active time 30 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- 1 (32-oz.) carton chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¾ cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups frozen or fresh peas*
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
*If using fresh peas, let them cook in the warm broth or blanch them before adding to the risotto.
- Heat the chicken broth in a medium saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and rice and cook 1 minute until the rice is toasted and the garlic is tender.
- Add the wine and cook until the liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Add a ladle-full of warm broth and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Continue the process, adding a little broth at a time, and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice absorbs the liquid and is al dente. (You may or may not need all of the broth.)
- Stir in the lemon zest, cheese, peas, salt, pepper, and parsley. Serve immediately.