Looking for a healthy and simple weeknight meal? This dish is low-carb, gluten-free and packed full of nutrition and flavor. The best part is that it’s ready in under half an hour and only requires you to dirty up one pot (less dishwashing makes everybody happy)!
Don’t let the simplicity of this one-pot wonder fool you, because it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser worthy of the regular dinner rotation!
Orange Chicken with Fried Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 bags frozen cauli rice (10 oz)
- 1 bag frozen peas and carrots (12 oz)
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
Sweet Orange Sauce
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp sliced red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 tsp ginger
- 1/4 c orange juice
- 1/4 c brown sugar (optional)
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/4 c vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (can use amino acids)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- To cook the chicken, add 1 tbsp oil to a hot nonstick or cast iron skillet. Add the garlic pepper, salt and pepper. Pan fry the chicken over medium heat until completely cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add another tbsp of oil to the same hot skillet that chicken was cooked in. Cook the onion until it softens. Add the cauli rice, peas and carrots. Cook on medium high heat covered for 7-10 minutes. Stirring every couple minutes. You want the veggies just hot. Do not overcook or they will become mushy.
- Push all the veggies to the outside of the pan. Leaving an open space to add in the egg. Scramble the egg in the middle leaving the veggies on the outside. Pour the soy sauce over the veggies. Once the egg is cooked, mix in with the rest of the veggies. Place cauli fried rice at the bottom of a serving platter and top with the cooked chicken.
- To cook the orange sauce, add 1 tsp of oil to the pan. Add chilis, garlic and ginger to oil. Cook 1 minute. Add in orange juice, brown sugar, honey, vinegar, soy sauce to pan stirring continuously. In another small cup mix cold water and cornstarch until completely combined. Add in cornstarch very slowly, stirring between drizzles until completely combined. The sauce will thicken as it cools. Pour over the chicken.
Serve and enjoy, and watch family members (even the pickiest of eaters) of every age come back for seconds!