The trick for silky-smooth potatoes? Make sure the cream and butter are just as hot as the potatoes when you mash them together. This rendition has an extra boost of flavor from jarred horseradish. It’s just the ticket for making a weeknight meal feel special.
Serves 4 to 6
Active time 25 minutes
Total time 2 hours
- 2 ½ lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled (if desired)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup butter
- 1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks and add to a large saucepan of salted water to cover. Add the garlic. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream and butter over medium heat until very hot. (Be careful not to let it boil over.)
- Add the hot cream mixture to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher or blend with a hand mixer until creamy. Stir in the horseradish, and season with salt and pepper to taste.