Think of this as a giant, savory skillet pancake. Perfect as a breakfast or brunch dish, it is really easy to make yet super impressive. Once you master the pancake batter, change up the flavors as you like. Try browned sausage, flaked salmon, or your favorite garden veggies. The possibilities are endless!
- Serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- 4 slices MOINK bacon
- 1 small bunch red kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Crème fraiche for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cook the bacon in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet until crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings in the skillet. (Set aside another 1 tablespoon drippings and reserve the remaining for another use.)
- Cook the kale in the drippings 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove to a small bowl and keep warm.
- Add the reserved 1 tablespoon drippings to the skillet and heat over medium heat until hot. Combine the eggs, milk, flour, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute. Stir in the cheese, 1 tablespoon of chives, and the thyme. Pour into the hot skillet and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake 17 to 18 minutes, until the Dutch baby is puffed and lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and top with the kale, bacon, and crème fraiche. Garnish with additional chives and serve immediately.
Ready to join the Moink Moovement and help us fight for the family farm?